Trigger finger is a common condition that may cause functional impairment. Inflammation can cause the tendon to become nodular. It occurs commonly in the ring finger and the thumb but can be present in any finger. It is common in females than in males.
We have discussed some important points which include Ayurvedic aspect, cause, risk factors with some effective herbal remedies and home remedies.
Introduction of trigger finger
Trigger finger is a condition that affects one or more hand’s tendons, making it difficult to bend and straighten the affected finger or thumb. It can occur in any finger but most often ring finger and thumb are mostly affected. When the thumb is involved in this condition then it is known as thumb trigger. In trigger finger patients, the A1 pulley (annular pulley near the head of the metacarpal bone) becomes thickened or inflamed, making it hard for the flexor tendon to slide through it as the finger bends. Gradually, the flexor tendon may become inflamed and grows a small nodule on its surface. When the finger flexes and the nodule passes through the pulley, there is a sensation of popping or catching this is painful.
In severe trigger finger cases, sometimes finger locks and stuck in a bent position. The condition is more common in women than men and anyone having diabetes.
Ayurvedic Aspect of Trigger Finger
Ayurveda is a traditional and ancient form of medicine. It is a holistic approach towards the health. The Goal of Ayurveda is to maintain a healthy person’s health and to alleviate disorders of the diseased. Ayurveda believes in maintaining a balance between mind, body, and soul. This balance can be maintained by the balance between Dosh, Dhatu, and Agni. Dosha is of three types Vata (Air), Pitta (fire), Kapha (water). The balance between these three doshas is known as a healthy state of body but the imbalance between this Dosha causes various problems.
According to Ayurveda trigger finger can be caused by aggravated Vata Dosha. Vata is responsible for movements in the body. By eating Vata aggravated food and wrong lifestyle can increase the Vata dosha in the body and Vata dosha can cause stiffness and pain in the finger. If this dosha is increased it can lead to the trigger finger condition.
Causes of trigger finger
The cause of trigger finger is not known but several factors may increase the risk for developing the trigger finger:
- Forceful hand activates: forceful use of the fingers and thumb can occur the trigger finger condition.
- Medical condition: The trigger finger is common in people with some medical conditions like diabetes and rheumatoid.
Symptoms of trigger finger
- A popping or clicking sound as finger move
- A locked finger that cannot be straight
- Soreness or a bump at the base of the finger or thumb.
- Early morning stiffness in a finger.
- The Inability to fully flex the finger.
- Pain and stiffness when bending the finger.
- Swelling or tender lump in the palm of the hand.
Risk factors of trigger finger
Some factors which can put someone at the risk of developing trigger finger
- Age: it usually occurs between 40 to 60 ages.
- Health problems: patients with diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis are at a higher risk of developing this condition.
- Sex: women are more prone to this condition.
- Job: it is common in farmers, industrial workers, musicians, and anyone who repeats its finger movements.
- Surgery: it is a complication associated with carpal tunnel syndrome surgery, during the first 6 months.
Herbal Remedies of Trigger Finger
Planet Ayurveda believes in treating patients according to Ayurvedic principle. They prepare their herbal remedies by using natural herbs. These herbal remedies work according to Dosha and help in getting relief from the disease. These remedies are prepared according to Ayurvedic principles. These remedies are free from chemicals and preservatives. They are 100% natural and safe and have no side effects on the health of the patients. It works on the root cause of disease. For trigger finger, planet ayurveda provide herbal remedies like: Yograj Guggul, Boswellia curcumin, Rumogin 5 capsules.
1. Yograj guggul:
This herbal remedy is prepared with different herbs like Guggulu, Chitraka, Pippali, etc. this helps in balancing the Vata Dosha. It helps in relieving pain and inflammation. It helps in boosting the immune system and provides strength to the bone.
Dose: 1-2 tablets 2-3 times a day, before or after having meals with honey.
2. Boswellia-Curcumin Capsules
It is a powerful combination of Curcumin and Boswellia that promotes joint health and provides strength to the immune system. This Capsule contains anti-inflammatory properties that work effectively on the trigger finger. Boswellia helps in reducing swelling and morning stiffness, increases mobility and helps in reducing arthritic pain.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Rumogin 5 Capsules
This Capsule contains herbs like Haridra, South, Marich, etc. It the most effective combination of anti-inflammatory herbs. It is very helpful in all types of joint pains. It helps in reducing morning stiffness in the trigger finger.
Dose: 1 to 2 Capsules once or twice daily with plain water after meals.
Home remedies for trigger finger
- Gently try to stretch the fingers to enhance a range of motion.
- Do self-massage for 2-3 minutes.
- Apply cold/warm compresses for 5-15 minutes on the area which is swollen and tender.
- Rest the affected finger
- Placing the hand in warm water several times throughout a day.
Food to be taken
- Aloe-Vera functions primarily in relieving inflammation associated with trigger finger. It may be applied to the affected area or taken as a supplement.
- Omega 3 fatty acids foods like walnuts, flaxseeds etc. which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Pineapple juice which contains enzyme Bromelain. This chemical helps in stimulating the body to produce natural substances that relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
Foods to avoid
- Processed food
- Sugary and fatty food
Yoga and exercise:
- Exercises like slowly opening and closing hands, grasping a ball helps in relieving the pain and stiffness.
- Stretch your fingers as stretching is important not only for muscles but also for the tendon and ligaments in the affected finger.
- Massage the affected finger it will facilitate blood flow to the area.
- Use another hand to slowly and gently bend and straighten the affected finger.
The trigger finger affects the tendons of hands and makes it difficult to bend and straighten the affected finger. Using some herbal remedies with some home remedies will help in relieving the disease.
Q1. What will happen if trigger finger is not treated?
- A1. If it is not treated finger become permanently bent, which make difficult to perform a daily task.
Q2. Can trigger finger heal on its own?
- A2. Most of the time, if the condition comes on suddenly after a particular activity; it will go away on its own. If this condition becomes painful and caused finger stiffness constant for more than six weeks than it can be treated with herbal remedies.
Q3. What is the cause of trigger finger?
- A3. Some medical conditions like diabetes, rheumatoid trigger finger is more prone to these conditions.
Q4. Which finger is the trigger finger?
- A4. Trigger finger can occur in one or more fingers. If it occurs in thumb then it is known as thumb trigger.
Q5. What is the best treatment for trigger finger?
- A5. Herbal remedies by Planet Ayurveda are the best treatment for trigger finger.